With headlines all over the world screaming out LONDON'S BURNING, churches are mobilising themselves into prayer and practical action wherever possible. Here in Cardiff, our church is focusing our prayer like this:
1. Pray to the Prince of Peace for peace in our land.
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
2. Pray for an end to violence, looting, and the burning of property, and that none of this spreads any further in the UK.
I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway! I will lead them and comfort those who mourn. Then words of praise will be on their lips. May they have peace, both near and far, for I will heal them all,” says the LORD. Isaiah 57:87-19
3. Pray for strong and wise leadership in the UK and especially in London.
Without wise leadership, a nation falls; with many counsellors, there is safety. Proverbs 11:14
4. Pray for the Christian churches in the affected areas to be salt and light in their communities and to be agents of reconciliation.
All this newness of life is from God, who brought us back to himself through what Christ did. And God has given us the task of reconciling people to him. For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. This is the wonderful message he has given us to tell others. 2Cor. 5:18-19
5. Pray that the perpetrators of the rioting and looting, especially the ringleaders, will come under the conviction of the Holy Spirit and realise their sinfulness.
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 2Cor. 7:10
6. Pray that those who have been involved-either as rioters or as innocent victims and bystanders-will come to realise that their only hope for life and for a future lies in Jesus Christ.
They are a nation without sense, there is no discernment in them. If only they were wise and would understand this and discern what their end will be! Deut. 32:28-29